Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sounds and Openness

I watched a video the other day about endorphins and addiction and how as human being we are crave pleasure. Pleasure is a motivation for why we do most of the things we do. While I think this true to an extent I find it one dimensional. If it were true the whole would be a massive hedonist playground. I think pleasure is an intrinsic good, but it's not the only one. However, this video got me thinking about one of the things that give me pleasure; music. Music is a haven. Just me and the sounds. Sometimes when I hear a sound so amazing, my heart throbs and becomes swollen and heavy... it's intense, it's like a cosmic romance. "It" just gets me. My earphones are like limbs dangling from my ears, an extension of myself. However, a good sound isn't always about the intensity, sometimes it's about the dance...the effortless ebb and flow...movement. Sometimes when I am on the bus, glancing at serious faces from the reflection of windows (don't pretend you don't do it too) I wonder what they are thinking. I wonder if they can tell that there is an exclusive party going on in my brain in that very moment and I wish I could have invited them. I do invite people in from time to time, but not many, I prefer intimate settings. Although I have come to learn that being open is so necessary. How open? As open as your soul yearns for you to be. Uninhibited. Open to what you may ask? Open to new experiences, freedom, new people, loving and receiving love, failure and fearlessness. Being closed and paralyzed from personal insecurities and potential rejection is the death of life and living. One of the best gifts I can receive is a resonating song that inspires motion and thought and if you do not like the enclosed song, you are not immortal..

No comments:

Post a Comment