Thursday, November 4, 2010

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

The first time I realized I needed to improve my health and fitness, I was on my way to class and running a few minutes late. As I approaching the building I ran up about 10 steps. After which I had to stop for a few minutes to catch my breath. Here I am, in my early 20s totally out of shape and huffing after 10 steps! Fast forward approximately 3 years later and over 113lbs lighter and I am the complete opposite of that picture. I work out 6 days a week sometimes twice a day and I have ran over 300miles in the last 7 months. Yesterday after a full body conditioning workout I experienced a prick in my side. That prick after a few minutes gradually became a throbbing pain disallowing me to lift my right hand above my head or bend. I went to a chiropractor today for the first time and after a few seconds of inspecting my spine he knew it was not aligned. He was able to tell me that I am very active...too active. As a result of all the yoga, running and weight training I have become so flexible that my spine is too loose. He went on to explain that being inactive and having a tight spine is not good, but being overactive with a loose spine was just at bad, simply the opposite extreme. He then pressed my spine and neck into place with various techniques (the loud cracking noises were a little shocking). He suggested I focused on the energy being released and not the sounds (which reminded me of a Steven Seagal movie). This was followed by a full body massage with a Thumper; the most powerful massage machine also used to treat horses. It was unbelievably deep and amazing, he left for about 10 minutes to allow me time to bask in the after effects. After the treatment he gave me a few posture tips and suggested a follow up in a week for one more treatment. If there is a Thumper involved, I am there! Everything in life requires a balance. Progression isn't only based on high intensity. It's smooth yet gradual, fluid and also consistent. Lesson learned. Sometimes it's takes a quick spinal shift to experience a simple mental alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment